Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada (Pauktuutit) is the national representative organization of Inuit women in Canada. Our mission is to foster a greater awareness of the needs of Inuit women and create change to advance women’s full social, economic, and cultural participation in communities in Inuit Nunangat, as well as cities across Canada where Inuit live.
Pauktuutit, as the national voice of Inuit women in Canada, has a key role to play in ensuring a gender-equality lens in policies impacting Inuit Women and in promoting greater progress in priority areas for Inuit women and children, across health and well-being, violence, and abuse prevention—safety, and socio-economic development. Our ability to do so depends heavily on partnerships across government departments, key funders, Inuit community groups and other stakeholder organizations.
We are a strong team of individuals who work to improve the quality of life for all Inuit women. By choosing Pauktuutit, you are taking an active role in changing the lives of Inuit. Likewise, Pauktuutit recognizes your value and is dedicated to supporting you and creating environments that fit our employees’ diverse lifestyles. This includes benefits and rewards such as supplementary Health and Dental benefits; Cell Phone and Internet allowance, or when we are in office, allowance for public transportation. We value your time and in addition to paid vacation, personal wellbeing days, and recognition of public holidays, we celebrate holidays that recognize women and Indigenous people.
Our main office is in Ottawa, Ontario, however, Pauktuutit believes strongly in providing a flexible work environment that embraces hybrid and remote options as critical to the future of work.
As Manager within the Policy Team, you will work in close collaboration with the Director of Policy, to lead both the day-to-day operations of the team within the Health Policy portfolio and drive the initiatives to support the overall goals of the organization. The role requires considerable skill in relationship building, including the ability to develop and foster partnerships and to collaborate effectively with community groups, agencies, and other stakeholders.
What you will do in this role:
Organizational strategy and development
- Act as the central resource to the sub-unit and more broadly supports the Policy Director in tracking the strategic plan updates, organizational goals and provides reporting to senior leadership as related to the sub-unit and progressing the strategic plan.
- Act as a central resource for the unit and collaborates across the organization to create presentations or speaking notes, including strategic planning, committees and advisory groups, partnership meetings and conferences.
- Provide centralized support managing and tracking organization wide commitments related to memorandums of understanding (MOU); Coordinates all MOU reports, and deliverables.
- Support proposal management in a co-development environment
- Identify funding sources and develop relevant project proposals, agreements, and budgets.
- Respond to requests that fall outside of Pauktuutit’s core Health mandate to gather information, develop a position in conjunction with the Director and Finance Business Planning and Enablement, to help the Director, bring forward potential to the Leadership Team.
- Support process management to enable efficiency and effectiveness in the Policy team and ensure collaboration between Policy and the rest of the organization including Programs, and Business Development. Participates in organizing and creating standards and best practices across Policy.
- Support the Director of Policy on an as needed basis including providing support to the Policy business during short term absences.
- Represent the organization at a range of venues such as advisory committees, working groups, high-level meetings, conferences, symposia.
- Provide leadership to the Policy subunit and owns project and department specific work-related supervision of the team within the portfolio area.
- Provide day-to-day coaching, direction, and leadership to employees; includes real time management or resources performance management and development, facilitating team meetings, escalation resolution and response.
- Manage resources, processes, and procedures to ensure effective management of workplans and on time delivery.
- Develop, implement, monitor, and evaluate projects across the subunit including regular activity reports and deliverables.
- Work with Policy Analysts to coordinate unit reporting with input from various staff members, ensuring quality of information and format for presentation to key stakeholders including senior leadership and funders.
- Maintains current and relevant financial documentation for relevant department opportunities in compliance with approved internal financial procedures and controls.
- Support quarterly reporting process in collaboration with the director, including reports to funding organizations in a timely and professional manner.
- Maintain department workplans in collaboration with Director, Policy.
What you bring to the opportunity:
In addition to alignment to Pauktuutit’s core values of collaboration, inclusion, innovation, and integrity:
- Post-Secondary degree in a related field such as sociology, women’s studies, political science, or acceptable combination of education and experience
- 7+ years of experience in a NFP in policy management with progressive responsibility in the areas of Health, social service, and/ or public sector
- Experience managing a team – a leader and team builder.
- A Policy Generalist with strength in planning, analytics and writing with ability to formulate data-driven recommendations; ability to dig into data, reach out to subject matter experts, operate from the perspective of doing the best for Inuit Women and suggesting opportunities for improvement.
- Outstanding communication and collaboration: constantly in conversation with key organizational stakeholders and leaders, and open-minded approach to influence decision making. Strong group process, communication, and consultative skills.
- Experience managing the financial/budgetary elements when managing initiatives.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and large volume of duties; prioritizes; maintains a schedule/calendar effectively; takes initiative to ensure deadlines are met and work is completed properly.
- Ability to respond to Pauktuutit employees’ needs and business priorities, provide value through recognizing current and future needs and then deliver solutions to optimize opportunities and minimize risk.
- A collaborator with a genuine interest in the well-being and success of everyone on the team
- Initiative-taking and can take decisive action by assessing risk-adjusted options and prioritization across multiple concurrent workstreams.
- Experience working Inuit organizations/or experience with Inuit communities and knowledge of current political and health issues of Inuit.
- Ability to Travel
Pauktuutit is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to build an inclusive, accessible, and respectful work environment. We strongly encourage applications from Inuit and other Indigenous people. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, and regulations.
We are committed to accommodating individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please indicate so in your application.
How to apply:
We thank all applicants for their interest in Pauktuutit; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.