Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada (Pauktuutit) is the national representative organization of Inuit women in Canada. Our mission is to foster a greater awareness of the needs of Inuit women and create change to advance women’s full social, economic, and cultural participation in communities in Inuit Nunangat, as well as cities across Canada where Inuit live.
Pauktuutit, as the national voice of Inuit women in Canada, has a key role to play in ensuring an Inuit-specific, gender-based lens is incorporated in policies impacting Inuit Women and in promoting greater progress in priority areas for Inuit women and children, across health and well-being, violence, and abuse prevention – safety, and socio-economic development. Our ability to do so depends heavily on partnerships across government departments, key funders, Inuit community groups and other stakeholder organizations.
We are a strong team of individuals who work to improve the quality of life for all Inuit women. By choosing Pauktuutit, you are taking an active role in changing the lives of Inuit. Likewise, Pauktuutit recognizes your value and is dedicated to supporting you and creating environments that fit our employees’ diverse lifestyles. This includes benefits and rewards such as supplementary Health and Dental benefits; Cell Phone and Internet allowance, or when we are in office, allowance for public transportation. We value your time and in addition to paid vacation, personal wellbeing days, and recognition of public holidays, we celebrate holidays that recognize women and Indigenous people.
Our main office is in Ottawa, Ontario, however, Pauktuutit believes strongly in providing a flexible work environment that embraces hybrid and remote options as critical to the future of work.
We are seeking skilled individuals to fill the roles of Senior Policy Analyst focused on the area of Gender-Based Analysis Plus (GBA+).
Utilizing a gender-based lens, the Senior Policy Analyst – GBA+ will focus on the implementation and utilization of Pauktuutit’s Inuit-specific GBA+ Framework, as well as utilize a culturally-specific, gender-based lens to review public policy and further Pauktuutit’s mandates and initiatives that support Inuit women.
Ideal candidates are responsible for utilizing a culturally specific, gender-based lens to conduct analysis and prepare written documents and recommendations for policy development and implementation. This role will also increase Pauktuutit’s capacity to integrate and utilize a culturally specific, gender-based lens to prepare for robust engagement, co-development, and representation of Inuit women’s distinct rights, needs and priorities with key partners.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop, implement, and monitor/evaluate deliverables related to the implementation and utilization of Pauktuutit’s Inuit-specific GBA+ Framework.
- Centre the voice and priorities of Inuit women by conducting policy analysis, including engagement and consultation with partners across Canada on a range of new and existing policy issues.
- Ensure the inclusion of Inuit women at decision-making tables by building relationships with government partners to foster Inuit women’s leadership and capacity for change.
- Represent the organization at meetings and conferences, as requested.
- Engage and develop relationships with external partners, as well as internally across the organization, on policy related to Inuit women and the utilization of a culturally-specific, gender-based lens.
- Develop and facilitate training, as required, regarding he implementation and utilization of Pauktuutit’s Inuit-specific GBA+ Framework.
- Assist with planning and/or facilitating workshops, meetings; work plan logistics/travel, etc.
- Develop meeting materials such as agendas, background materials, briefing notes and related content.
- Provide quarterly reports to the Board of Directors, Advisory Committee(s) and others as required.
- Ensure timely and adequate internal and external reporting and documentation.
- Other duties as required.
Administrative/Other responsibilities include:
- Communicate appropriately about sensitive issues.
- Participate in training and professional development initiatives as required.
- Ensure the confidentiality of all files where appropriate.
- A college or university degree in a relevant discipline.
- 5+ years of experience providing assessment and analysis of policy within the context of multifaceted projects related to Inuit or Indigenous people.
- 3+ years of experience in utilizing a gender-based lens to provide policy analysis and recommendations.
- 3+ more years of experience prioritizing topics of importance to Inuit women within a government/public service context.
- Knowledge and policy expertise in the areas of health and wellness, social and economic development, and/or violence prevention, and/or justice issues for Inuit women are highly desirable
- 3+ years of experience in drafting proposals for various opportunities to increase capacity building projects to undertake the development and implementation of policy.
- Manage deliverables in accordance with Results Based Management principles and with strong gender equality components.
- For senior analyst position preferred 5+ years of experience working with federal, provincial, territorial, northern, urban government officials and funding organizations
- Team player, focused on mobilizing and leveraging capacities and interests towards project outcomes.
- Exceptional communication skills – verbal and written, to prepare and present complex policy analyses, evidence-based decision-making results, policy reports, speeches, and briefing notes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to translate complex ideas and information to any audience.
- Spoken and written Inuktut language is desirable. French is an asset.
Pauktuutit is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to build an inclusive, accessible, and respectful work environment. We strongly encourage applications from Inuit and other Indigenous people. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, and regulations.
We are committed to accommodating individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please indicate so in your application.
How to apply:
We thank all applicants for their interest in Pauktuutit; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.