What is Mentorship?
The Business Mentorship Program is designed for Inuit businesswomen at any stage of business development! Mentorship is when someone with experience and someone who wants to learn from that experience are paired together for support, encouragement and to learn. A mentor is someone who shares their skills, knowledge and experience to support another businesswoman’s goals and objectives. Mentors sharing their knowledge helps businesswomen in the earlier stages of business to improve their skills and ability.
Are You a Mentor?
To be a mentor simply means you’ve navigated and overcome some of the barriers to starting and owning a business. The more experience you have the more help you can give to another Inuit businesswoman in your community or across Inuit Nunangat. You do not have to know everything about business to be a mentor. You may have experience in a specific area of business or a specific market that can be very valuable to a new businesswoman in that same market.
The benefits of becoming a mentor include:
- Allows you to give back to the community
- Strengthens your social relationship and communication skills
- Encourages you to stay current with new business concepts
- Provides you with an opportunity to expand your professional network
- Allows you to increase your perspective, insights and knowledge
Here are some questions to ask yourself to help you become a mentor:
- Are you an Inuit businesswoman?
- Do you own/manage a profitable business of any size?
- Have you have gone through the financial and legal processes to start your business?
- Do you think you could provide advice and help to another businesswoman?
If you answered YES to any, or all, of these questions than becoming a Mentor through Pauktuutit’s Business Mentorship Program may be the perfect opportunity for you!
Do You Need a Mentor?
A mentor can help you with organizing your business, as well as answer questions about steps you have to take to get your business off the ground. Your mentor has gone through many of the steps that you will have to go through and they can provide guidance or advise you. A mentor can also help by supporting your goals and aspirations as a businesswoman. You can think of having a mentor as your own personal business coach!
The benefits of finding a mentor include:
- Receive support and encouragement
- Receive wisdom, knowledge, practical help and advice
- Receive assistance with short-term and long-term business planning and direction
- Receive support to develop specific skills
- Receive general constructive criticism and guidance
- Gain opportunities to network with experienced businesspeople
- Gain confidence
Here are some questions to ask yourself to help you decide if you need a mentor:
- Are you an Inuit woman at the beginning stages of developing a business?
- Do you have a lot of questions about getting your business started?
- Do you find the process to start a business is confusing?
- Would another Inuit businesswoman’s help be encouraging for you?
- Does building your business seem isolating?
If you answered YES to any, or all, of these questions than Pauktuutit’s Business Mentorship Program may be the perfect opportunity for you!